It’s Monday again, the weekend is over and it is back to work. Make your Monday better by going out and buying some cheap steaks and turn them into a quality steak for dinner tonight. A good meal always makes a Monday better. If you like steak and eat it a lot this is a great cost saving measure.
Go out and buy your typical grocery store steak. The ones that usually range in price from $4-$7. Nothing from behind the counter, no filet or quality prime meat needed. Also pick up some kosher salt if you don’t already have it at home.
- Take the steaks out of the packaging and place them on a plate.
- Coat the steaks with kosher salt. (Just don’t sprinkle some on, coat it.)
- Let sit for desired time. (If your steak is an inch thick let sit for an hour, inch in a half let sit for an hour and a half.)
- Rinse steak of all the remaining salt and pat dry with paper towels.
- Now you can cook it or prep it any other way you would like before grilling it.
What happens is the salt breaks down the protein cells in the meat. Instead of being very tough and tight they loosen and help the meat hold its flavor better. There is more science behind this, but all you really need to know is that it works and works well.