Grilling out this weekend? Want a simple side that will leave your guests speechless and make you feel like Chef Gordon Ramsey? Yes you say? Read on…
This grilled onion blossom requires practically no work and turns an onion into a side dish and not an afterthought. I love onions with my steak and I am always looking for creative ways to prepare the onion and that is how I stumbled across this recipe. Now lets get to how you actually make this.
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 1/2 T butter
- garlic salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat your grill to high heat
- Peel the onion and slice it into 6-8 wedges, but leave the base of the onion still intact.
- Pull apart the wedges slightly
- Coat the inside of the onion with the butter, garlic salt and pepper
- Drizzle some olive oil over the onion
- Wrap the onion with aluminum foil
- Place on the grill and cook for 30-45 minutes.
That’s it. Very simple. This is a very inexpensive side to have with your meal when grilling out. It is also a great starting point to create your own flavor. Try some cajun seasoning, or real garlic instead of garlic salt, or seasoned salt instead of the garlic salt. There are a lot of possibilities with this. One of my favorite additions is Worcestershire sauce. Try it out, mix it up and let me know in the comments below how it was.